Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Recipe type: Appetizer, Snack
Full of vibrant colors and fresh flavors, this salsa is a terrific make ahead appetizer to serve to guests, at your next game night party or even as a topping for grilled meats.
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 onion, cut into medium dice
- 2 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Juice from 1 orange (the one the zest comes from)
- 28-ounce can whole Italian plum tomatoes, well-drained, seeds removed and chopped*
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Optional: 1 teaspoon finely diced jalapeno pepper
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté yellow pepper and onion in 2 Tablespoons oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; add orange zest and juice, then stir.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, salt and jalapenos, if using.
- Gently stir and transfer mixture to glass serving bowl.
- Add diced avocado to this salsa if you like.
- Keeps 1 week in the fridge, so is a terrific make-ahead snack for parties.
- Try adding a Tablespoon or two to your next omelet for an exciting twist.