The Pie That Stops a Nation
Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Recipe type: Desserts, Pies
- 1 unbaked Gluten Free Pie Crust in a 9-inch pie plate *
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 4 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 4 Tablespoons Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread, melted and slightly
- cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1½ cups diced walnuts or pecans **
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips ***
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Spread nuts (or seeds) evenly over the unbaked piecrust.
- Top nuts with chocolate chips or chunks.
- Set crust aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, tapioca flour, Earth Balance, vanilla, salt, and bourbon (if using). Whisk until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into the piecrust over the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Place the pie on a foil-lined pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top is dry and the piecrust edges begin to turn a light golden color.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing.
- Cut into wedges and serve cold or at room temperature.
I have not made the recipe with a substitute for real eggs or alternative sugars or sweeteners. I have tested the recipe with tapioca flour, cornstarch, and potato starch. Both tapioca flour and cornstarch work equally well. Potato starch alone does not produce the desired outcome for the filling in this pie. I have tested the recipe with Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread AND equal amounts of real butter. Both work equally well. Omitting the bourbon does NOT require the addition of additional liquid to the recipe. * My 2011 Holiday Guide includes a recipe for a Gluten Free Vegan Food Processor Pie Crust ** Nut Free Option: Substitute an equal amount of roughly chopped unsalted roasted sunflower seeds. *** For chocolate pieces free from the top 8 food allergens and gluten free, use Enjoy Life Foods Chocolate Chunks or Mini Chocolate Chips