Simple Homemade Applesauce
- 8 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 c. sugar
- The outer peel from 1 orange
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance soy free buttery spread
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook on medium-low heat, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and stir; cover again, and cook for approximately 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally. The applesauce is done when the apples begin to break apart when stirred.
- Remove the orange peel from the applesauce and discard. Stir the apples thoroughly and serve warm.
Gluten Free Gigi Tips: For added flavor, choose 2 or 3 different types of apples. Some of my favorite varieties for applesauce are Granny Smith, Rome, Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Macintosh. Use the peeled orange in a salad – simply section, slice & toss with your favorite greens and vinaigrette.
Naturally gluten free and perfect for your special diet, you won’t want to purchase store-bought applesauce again! Try using my version alongside pork loin or chicken, or as a topping for gluten free pancakes instead of maple syrup!
If you have an abundance of apples, double (or even triple) this recipe. Enjoy!