Cookbook Index: Side Dishes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cool time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour, 40 minutes
We’ve turned comforting scalloped potatoes on their side—literally—with this stunning dish, designed to impress both the taste buds and the eyes. Sweet spuds stand in for the standard yellow-fleshed variety, and an aromatic topping of rich maple syrup, buttery pecans and a chili-based seasoning makes for a sweet, nutty, slightly spicy take on the classic gratin.
||large sweet potatoes (about 2-½ lb/1.13 kg), peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rounds
|¼ cup (60 mL)
||sodium-reduced chicken broth
|½ tsp (2 mL)
|¼ tsp (1 mL)
|3 tbsp (45 mL)
|2 tbsp (30 mL)
|1 tsp (5 mL)
||PC® BLACK LABEL PERI PERI SPICE BLEND
|⅓ cup (83 mL)
||coarsely chopped raw pecans
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Arrange potato slices vertically in 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate, packing in rows to fit. Pour in broth; season with salt and pepper. Cover loosely with foil. Bake until slightly softened, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Stir together maple syrup, butter and peri peri spice in small bowl; brush half of the glaze onto potatoes.
4. Bake, uncovered, until potatoes are golden and fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Stir pecans into remaining glaze; sprinkle evenly over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, until pecans are fragrant and toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 260 calories, fat 9 g (3 g of which is saturated), sodium 330 mg, carbohydrate 42 g, fibre 6 g, sugars 13 g, protein 4 g