Cookbook index: Bread, Rolls & Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Rise time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 2 hours, 5 minutes
Everyone should have a recipe for a flaky biscuit in their repertoire, even those who eat gluten-free. Serve alongside soup or stew, or split horizontally and fill with cheese or jam.
|2¾ cups (688 mL)
||PC® Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
|¼ cup (60 mL)
|2 tsp (10 mL)
||quick-rising (instant) dry yeast
|1 tsp (5 mL)
||large eggs, room temperature
|1 cup (250 mL)
||homogenized milk, warmed (100°F/38°C)
|2 tbsp (30 mL)
||unsalted butter, melted
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl.
2. Whisk together 1 egg, milk and butter in small bowl or saucepan; stir into flour mixture using spatula until combined.
3. Mist separate large bowl with cooking spray. Transfer dough to greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place 45 minutes.
4. Divide dough into ¼-cup (60 mL) portions; roll each into smooth ball. (If dough is sticky, wet hands slightly.) Arrange, 2 inches (5 cm) apart, on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
6. Whisk remaining egg with 1 tbsp water in small bowl; brush onto tops of dough. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, rotating sheet halfway through, until golden, about 16 minutes.
Makes about 12 biscuits.
Per biscuit: 160 calories, fat 3.5 g (2 g of which is saturated), sodium 250 mg, carbohydrate 30 g, fibre 0 g, sugars 5 g, protein 2 g