Hash Brown Nests for Spring Brunch ~ Naturally Gluten Free
Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Recipe type: Breakfast, Brunch
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- For the Potato “Nests”:
- 1 large bag (20 ounce) frozen hash brown shredded potatoes, thawed to room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh snipped chives, optional (Use half the amount if you’re using dried chives.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 grinds fresh ground black pepper, optional
- For the scrambled eggs:
- 12 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk (Dairy- or plant-based milk is fine.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional chives, optional for garnish
- You will need a 12-section muffin pan and a skillet to prepare the scrambled eggs, both adequately greased.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In mixing bowl, combine ingredients for potato “nests”. Stir and place equal portions of mixture into each of the 12 sections of the prepared muffin pan.
- Make an indentation into the center of each “nest”.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- While the nests bake, make the scrambled eggs.
- Beat eggs, milk and salt until smooth, then cook in greased skillet until just set, but not quite done. You want the scrambled eggs very glossy and quite moist because they will cook a bit more in the next step.
- Once the potato nests are set and golden brown around the edges, remove the muffin pan from oven and divide scrambled eggs evenly among the nests. (If you like, you could sprinkle shredded cheese or vegan “cheese” shreds over the eggs in nests at this point.)
- Return the muffin pan to the oven to bake an additional 2 minutes to set the eggs (and melt the cheese, if using).
- Garnish with sprigs of chives and serve immediately.