While everyone else bakes up lovely loaves of pleasing pumpkin bread, let’s be a bit different with Gluten Free Sweet Potato Bread with Pumpkin Cream Spread, shall we? 😉 I LOVE pumpkin bread – in fact, you’ll find several pumpkin recipes in the Recipe Index. If you like, you can substitute pumpkin for the sweet potato in this recipe. I promise I won’t get one bit mad. I want you to enjoy your gluten freedom as much as possible, so tweak and test all you like – this is a near fail-proof recipe, Honey Bunch. Add nuts, seeds, shredded carrot, well-drained crushed pineapple…just let your gluten-free imagination run wild and have fun!
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Bread with Pumpkin Cream Spread
Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Recipe type: Breads, Desserts, Breakfast
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- Sweet Potato Bread:
- 2 cups Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or your favorite gum-free gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mace (or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg)
- 1 heaping cup mashed sweet potatoes (baked leftover sweet potatoes make a great option here!)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons dairy-free butter substitute, melted (or use coconut oil or real butter, if you eat dairy)
- Juice from ½ orange, fresh squeezed (Navel is a great orange to use!)
- Pumpkin Cream Spread:
- 4 ounces dairy-free cream cheese product (like Daiya Foods) or real cream cheese, if you eat dairy
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar (to avoid corn, use store-bought confectioners’ sugar made with tapioca starch OR make your own)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grated orange rind, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease loaf pan (I use 9×5-inch, but 8×4-inch is fine, too.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, soda, salt and spices; whisk to blend.
- Add eggs, butter, potato and orange juice; stir until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 40-50 minutes, depending on how your oven bakes and the size pan you choose (the smaller pan needs a few more minutes since it makes a taller loaf). I like to check the bread at 35 minutes, just to assess how much longer it will need. Gently press center, and when it springs back it is ready.
- Remove from oven, cool in pan, then remove and slice to serve “as-is” or with Pumpkin Cream Spread.
- To make pumpkin cream spread, simply combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until very smooth. Store leftovers in refrigerator.