Homemade Gluten Free Pasta & Meatballs
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan or guar gum (either will work here)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten at room temperature
- Combine flours, starch, and gum in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
- Add the eggs and stir until you achieve a coarse crumb mixture.
- Use your hands to knead the mixture in the bowl into a ball of dough.
- Squeeze the dough so that it comes together. It will be slightly sticky, and this is ok. Do not add extra flours or starch.
- Shape the dough into a disc, place on a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap, wrap tightly, and leave at room temperature for 15 minutes. Do not refrigerate.
- After the dough has rested for 15 minutes, cut it into 4 small portions.
- Flour a counter top or cutting board with rice flour and roll out one section at a time as thin as possible.
- As you roll the dough work from the center outward.
- Roll a bit, then carefully turn the dough over, add a small dusting of flour, and roll some more.
- When you have the dough as thin as you like, trim the edges evenly and cut into ¼-inch strips, or “little ribbons”, to create fettuccini.*
- Place cut pasta on a plate until all the pasta is rolled out and cut into noodles.
- Once your pasta is ready, boil water in a large saucepan
- Add pasta when the water comes to a full boil. **
- The pasta should cook in 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how thick your noodles are.
- Drain and serve immediately.
If you do not need all your pasta immediately, you may seal it in plastic wrap unrolled and store it for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Simply allow it to come to room temperature before rolling and cutting. * The strips can be as long as you would like. I usually cut mine between 4 and 6 inches long ** There is no need to add oil to the water. This pasta doesn’t stick together when cooking.