This Gluten Free Dairy Free Fudge will easily pass as the “regular” dairy version. It is smooth, velvety and rich! It has received rave reviews from readers and is so simple to prepare! You’ll want to make several batches so you have enough to give some as gifts during the holidays! (And yes, most fudge is already gluten-free, but dairy-free fudge, well, that’s another story!) Before you begin… If you’re worried about the coconut milk imparting a coconut flavor – no worries – it does not. The fudge is exactly like traditional fudge in texture and flavor, and sets up quickly, needing no refrigeration. Just be sure to follow the directions carefully, and of course, a candy thermometer is helpful to achieve just the right temperature you need for perfect fudge every time! You can even watch me make it in my YouTube video, linked below! Now, go ahead, whip up a batch!
Gluten Free – Dairy Free Fudge
Author: Gluten-Free Gigi
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk (full fat, I use Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil, allowing foil to hang over the sides (you will use this to lift the fudge from the pan later).
- Grease the foil lightly; Set aside.
- In a large saucepan (4-quart or larger), combine sugar, cocoa, salt and coconut milk.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil, not stirring, until the temperature reaches 234 degrees (use a clip-on candy thermometer for accuracy).
- Remove the pot from the heat; add Earth Balance and vanilla, but DO NOT STIR. Leave candy thermometer in place and allow the mixture to cool to about 125 degrees.
- Once cooled, use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture until it becomes thick and begins to lose its gloss.
- Quickly spread the fudge evenly into the prepared pan; Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the fudge from the pan by lifting the foil lining.
- Cut into squares and store tightly wrapped at room temperature.