Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie
Author: Breads From Anna
Gluten Free Pie Crust:
Pie Filling: (this can be enough filling for two 8″ pies. The filling will be about 1 ¼” high. For a larger pie, using only one of the two pie shells)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch (or 3 tablespoons cup coconut flour and 3 tablespoons cup arrowroot=total ¼ cup)
- 6 egg yolks (set egg whites aside-will be used for the meringue)
- 2 cans of Thai Coconut milk (full fat) or 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup enjoy life coconut flakes
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
Gluten Free Pie Crust
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees
- Follow Breads From Anna Pie Crust package instructions.
- Blend in coconut flakes and divide dough into 2 dough balls. Place dough ball into a 9″ pie plate.
- Place one dough ball into a 9″ pie plate. (Remaining dough can be pressed into another pie plate and placed in the freezer for up to three months)
- Flute edges and prick pastry.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Let cool. Set aside.
- Blend in all pie filling ingredients until smooth, a hand mixer on medium speed works well.
- Pour ingredients into a medium sauce pan.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove sauce pan from heat.
- Let set for 3 minutes to cool.
- Pour into pie shell. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on high until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks stage.
- Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing to edges, sprinkle meringue with coconut flakes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool, chill.