Gluten Free Berry Cobbler
Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Recipe type: dessert, pie, cobbler, fruit dessert
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
This recipe is free from: gluten, dairy/casein (option), soy, peanuts, tree nuts, corn.
- For the Blueberry Filling:
- 6 cups fresh blueberries (Use your favorite berries or a combination like blueberries and strawberries.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on how sweet your berries are (I prefer ¼ cup, especially when using frozen berries.)
- 2 teaspoons lemon or orange zest, optional, but either adds terrific flavor
- 3 Tablespoons Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or your favorite gluten-free flour blend, without added gums (like guar or xanthan gum)
- For the Topping:
- 1 1/3 cup Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or your favorite gluten-free flour blend, without added gums (like guar or xanthan gum)
- 6 Tablespoons sugar (white, brown, coconut or experiment with another type sweetener, if you like)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons dairy-free butter substitute (or real butter if you eat dairy), chilled & cut into marble-sized bits or cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease 2-quart baking dish (butter, coconut oil, or dairy-free butter substitute are great for this recipe; just enough to lightly coat bottom and sides of dish)
- In a mixing bowl, combine berries, sugar, zest and flour; toss to coat berries.
- Spoon fruit into prepared baking dish.
- In the same mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients for the topping.
- Cut in the cold butter with a fork until coarse and crumbly.
- Add egg and vanilla; stir. The mixture will be thick.
- Spread the topping batter over fruit (use the back of a large spoon to spread it – be patient – the batter is thick and spreading slowly is best).
- Sprinkle the 1 Tablespoon sugar over the top of batter.
- Bake 25 minutes, then check the cobbler. If it is becoming too brown on top before completely done (the center will appear dry, golden and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted in center), cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, then check again.
- When cobbler is done, remove from oven (remove foil covering if used) and cool slightly before serving.
- Top with dairy-free whipped topping or your favorite dairy topping or ice cream.
Thought you’d like to know…