Glazed Lemon Pound Cake *Gluten & Wheat-Free*
Author: Lauren Kelly
- For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cup high quality all purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup sucanat
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons organic butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup reduced fat organic milk
- For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 1/4 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Zest the 2 lemons and place lemon zest in a bowl. Put the lemons to the side. Add sucanat, Greek yogurt, butter in with the zest with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in one egg white at a time, then add whole egg. Continue to beat. Reduce speed to medium and beat in the milk and lemon juice.
- Reduce the mixer to low and add in the flour mixture, only beating until combined. Do not overmix.
- Bake the cake until toothpick comes out clean when placed in the center, about 50 minutes. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of cake and let cool on wire rack.
- While cooling, place sucanat and lemon juice for the glaze in a small saucepan and place on the stove. Cook for 1-2 minutes until it becomes thick while stirring constantly. *Note: The glaze will NOT be white because sucanat is not white. The glaze is a brownish color that you really can not see when placed on the cake.
- Poke small holes in the top of the cake. Place a baking tray underneath the wire rack to avoid a mess. Pour glaze on top of cake making sure it gets into all of the poked holes. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.