Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (You can substitute your favorite sweetener here, decrease the amount, or omit the sugar entirely.)
- 1 cup milk (Plant- or dairy-based will work.)
- 1/3 cup oil
- Egg replacer (prepared according to package directions) to equal 2 large eggs (or you may use 2 large eggs OR ½ cup egg substitute)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 8-inch square glass baking dish (or similar sized dish of your choice).
- Place the baking dish in the oven as it preheats while you mix the bread.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients to blend.
- Add milk, oil, and “eggs”.
- Stir until batter is completely smooth.
- Carefully remove hot pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Return the pan to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown around the edges.
- Cut into squares and serve hot from the oven either on its own or with a drizzle of honey.
Optional add-ins if you are not dairy free:
- 1. ½ cup grated cheese and up to 1 Tablespoon of diced jalapeno peppers – OR
- 2. ½ cup dried cranberries and ½ cup crumbled feta cheese For the cheeses here, you may substitute vegan “cheese” shreds, such as Daiya for a dairy free treat!