Author: Chef Jimi
GF / CF / Nut Free / Soy Free / Egg Free / Corn Free
* Chicken bones, skin, fat and any trimmings from carcass of “Perfect Roast Chicken”
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 medium carrots, chopped
* 2 ribs of Celery, chopped
* 3 Garlic Cloves whole
* 3 Bay leaves
* Water, enough to cover bones by 5 inches or so
* Large chopping knife
* Cutting board
* Large cooking pot
* Large bowl or another large pot
1. Chicken stock is nothing more than slowly cooking the bones with aromatics to achieve maximum extraction of flavor and nutritional value from the chicken. All the ingredients can be used or at a minimum just the bones and water.
2. Begin by placing all the ingredients in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover the bones by 5 inches or so. The stock should cook for at least 1 hour. Remember to take into consideration the evaporation that will occur. The bones should be completely covered during the whole process.
3. Bring the contents up to a boil, skimming the fat off the top as it arises. This will ensure a cleaner tasting and clear final stock. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. This will allow for adequate extraction of flavor and nutritional value. Any further time cooking will only benefit both qualities.
4. When the stock has finished cooking strain the contents into a large bowl or another pot to cool down a bit before condensing into smaller containers and refrigerating.
**You can use any vegetable peels or skins that you have saved from other projects to flavor the stock.
**Have a pot ready when breaking down a raw chicken or when taking the cooked meat off your roasted chicken so a stock can be put right up on the stove.
**When freezing your stock, leave adequate head space in the jar to allow for expansion.
**Ice cube trays are a handy way to freeze small amounts of stock.
**Label and date your stock. Try to use it out of the fridge within a week. Frozen stock will keep well for a month or two.
**If you are going to use water for cooking, use your stock instead for extra flavor!
Nutrition Information: Amount per serving (Serving Size 250g)
Saturated Fat 0.0g