Gluten Free Belgian Waffles
Author: Gluten Free Gigi
Recipe type: Breakfast, Brunch
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
This recipe is free from: gluten, dairy/casein (optional), soy, peanuts, tree nuts, corn.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk; use the dairy-free or dairy milk of your choice.)
- ½ cup sour cream (Use dairy-full, dairy-free or substitute an equal amount your favorite dairy or dairy-free plain unsweetened yogurt for the sour cream. I do not recommend a 0% fat product, but you’re free to experiment with what you like.)
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter, dairy-free butter substitute, coconut oil or other oil of your choice (You will end up with a richer flavor by using butter or dairy-free butter substitute.)
- 1 ¼ cups Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or use your favorite gum-free gluten-free all purpose flour blend
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (Use granulated white, brown or coconut sugar; a liquid sugar like honey, agave nectar or pure maple syrup will work, too. Or you may omit sugar if you prefer. If making savory waffles, definitely omit sugar.)
- Oil for waffle iron
- Brush the waffle iron with oil and heat according to manufacturers’ directions.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg; add sour cream; whisk again until smooth.
- Pour melted butter over egg/sour cream mixture and whisk until fat is incorporated.
- Add milk and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar; whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter onto hot waffle iron until all batter is used.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturers’ recommendations.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings: fruit, cream, dairy free whipped topping, pure maple syrup, honey or my Homemade Cinnamon Honey Butter (dairy or dairy-free option).
- You may also enjoy using these waffles for savory sandwiches – simply omit the sugar in the recipe and cook as directed, then fill with your favorite sandwich fillings!